Vanderbilt Football to hold walk-on tryouts this month

Graphic+via+Vanderbilt+Athletics+

Graphic via Vanderbilt Athletics

Graphic via Vanderbilt Athletics

Graphic via Vanderbilt Athletics

Graphic via Vanderbilt Athletics

Have you ever been to a Vanderbilt Football game and thought “I bet I could do that?”

Now is your chance to prove it.

Vanderbilt Football is holding walk-on tryouts in the next two weeks as spring practice gets underway. A mandatory informational meeting will take place this coming Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 5:30 PM at the McGugin Center, and the tryouts will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 27 from 9-10:30 AM at the Indoor Multipurpose Facility.

The tryouts are open to any student enrolled full-time at Vanderbilt, and attendance at the informational meeting is required to participate in the tryouts.

Anyone interested or that has questions should contact Corey Phillips at corey.phillips@vanderbilt.edu.

This will be the first time under Head Coach Derek Mason that Vanderbilt Football will hold walk-on tryouts. Leading up to his first season as head coach in 2011, former coach James Franklin tried to add depth to his roster through open walk-on tryouts. He even actively recruited from fraternities and certain Vanderbilt dorms, and 17 people showed up to try out for the team.

Vanderbilt produced a video detailing the tryout process back in 2011, and it featured attendee Travis Cohen, who tried out with no competitive playing experience whatsoever.

The Commodores finished 6-7 this season and earned their second trip to a bowl game under Mason.