Vandy United: Hawkins Field initiative signals major upgrades

Vandy United is set to invest in groundbreaking upgrades for Hawkins Field.
Vanderbilt announced a plan to renovate Hawkins Field on May 31, 2023 (Vanderbilt Athletics).

When Vanderbilt first announced the Vandy United plan, it was clear the school had big plans for its Athletics Department. The $300 million investment into Vanderbilt Athletics represented the largest financial commitment to growing the athletic program in school history. Now, those plans are starting to reveal themselves: Hawkins Field will be getting a makeover. 

The first major offseason project of the Vandy United fund was the renovation of the newly named FirstBank football stadium. On May 31, athletic director Candice Story Lee announced that similarly sweeping changes were in store for Vanderbilt’s storied baseball stadium, Hawkins Field. The initiative will provide massive upgrades to the ballpark seating and introduce other fan amenities. A timeline has not yet been announced for the updates.

Some key enhancements include a second grandstand level to increase stadium capacity, multiple club spaces and private suites for unique viewing experiences and a new atrium behind right field. In addition, the upgrades will allow fans to walk between infield and outfield seating areas without leaving the stadium, addressing one of the most prominent complaints of the previous arrangement. 

“Coach Corbin and the VandyBoys have long been an example of how we set the same high standards for ourselves in athletics as we do across the rest of the university,” Chancellor Daniel Diermeier said. “Today’s announcement is further proof that, through the historic Vandy United effort, we will give all those who strive for excellence the tools to succeed and reach the full heights of their potential.”