Winners of the annual Chancellor Alexander Heard Greek Awards announced

Last week, the Office of Greek Life revealed the winners of the 2021 Greek Awards, which only Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Tau Omega and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and their members received.
Hallie Williams
The National Pan-Hellenic Council house on Greek Row, as photographed on Nov. 15, 2020. (Hustler Multimedia/Hallie Williams)

The winners of the 2021 Chancellor Alexander Heard Greek Awards were revealed by the Office of Greek Life (OGL) on their Instagram page this past week, with Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Tau Omega and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and their members being the only recipients. 

These awards are given to chapters of the Interfraternity Council (IFC), the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) and the Panhellenic Council, as well as individual members of these organizations.

The Chancellor Heard Greek Awards seek to recognize fraternities and sororities for outstanding work,” the OGL website states

Nominees were honored on April 19, followed by the announcement of winners from April 20 to April 23.

Chapter Awards

Cultivating Member Connection (award given by respective Council): Alpha Chi Omega (Panhellenic) and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (NPHC)

Innovation in Virtual Programming (award given by respective Council): Alpha Chi Omega (Panhellenic) and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (NPHC)

Social Action Award: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (NPHC)

Chapters of the Year (awards given by respective Council): Alpha Chi Omega (Panhellenic), Alpha Tau Omega (IFC) and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (NPHC)

Individual Awards

Outstanding Social Action Agent: Destinee Marsh (of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.)

Outstanding Fraternity Member of the Year: Calvin Beck (of Alpha Tau Omega)

Outstanding Sorority Member of the Year: Nnenna Nwaezeapu (of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.)

Changes to Awards

Three fewer awards were given this year compared to the 2020 Awards. The Outstanding Sorority and Fraternity New Member Awards, Most Improved Chapter Awards, Outstanding Collaborative Program Award, Community Impact Award and Outstanding Community Servant Award were not awarded this year. New awards given this year included the Cultivating Member Connection Award, the Innovation in Virtual Programming Award and the Outstanding Social Action Agent Award.

In an email to The Hustler, Kristin Torrey, director of the OGL, stated that the changes and elimination of awards were related to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Because of the pandemic, it was more difficult for members to engage in direct community service, so awards tied to direct service were suspended for this year,” Torrey said. “Next year, we will re-evaluate what awards best recognize the accomplishments of our community.”