Rand Dining Center temporarily closed after positive COVID-19 test

The dining center is scheduled to reopen for brunch on Saturday, Sept. 26, following deep cleaning and sanitization.
Jonathan Liu
Rand Dining Center has locked down, and a flyer has been posted on an entrance door to notify students of its closure. (Hustler Staff/Jonathan Liu)

On Friday, Sept. 25, the university identified a positive case of COVID-19 that could potentially impact students and staff in Rand Dining Center, according to a university spokesperson.

Out of caution, Rand closed its lunch services for deep cleaning and sanitization. The dining hall is scheduled to reopen for brunch on Saturday, Sept. 26.

According to the university spokesperson, the Public Health Command Center conducted contract tracing in order to determine and notify any close contacts who may have been affected.

Junior Saad Akhtar said that the university could have done a better job of informing students.

I think the quick close was a really smart idea. I wouldn’t even mind if Rand was closed for the entire weekend so that all the staff [is] safe,” Akhtar said.

First-year Justin Shure also said he thought the university made the right decision.

“I think it’s the right approach to close, clean and reopen tomorrow,” Shure said. “It was good that they got everyone out of there so quickly.”