Revelator Coffee Co. permanently closes Hillsboro Village location

The popular coffee shop has abruptly closed its doors after 5 years of service in Nashville.
Revelator Coffee on 21st Avenue S. in Hillsboro.(Hustler Multimedia/Samuel Blum)

Located on 21st Ave. S. next door to Jeni’s, Revelator offered many traditional coffees and pastries in a quiet environment that was great for weekend study sessions. However, when I visited the shop on Sept. 5 to start my typical Saturday morning routine, the doors were locked. There was no prior announcement on social media from Revelator about the closure.

Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, the shop operated with dine-in and takeout service last month. Early this month, a cardboard sign was placed in the center of the glass door reading “WE R CLOSED,” and both Yelp and Google updated the business listing as permanently closed.

Nearby Hillsboro vendors confirmed the closure, as well as a former employee who commented on a recent post from Revelator’s Instagram.

Revelator Coffee Company did not reply to requests for comment, and their Nashville phone line is not active.

The company originated in New Orleans and aimed to provide a minimalistic environment with coffee sourced from several different regions each season. The Nashville location first opened in 2015, and although the reason for closure is not immediately clear, several of the company’s other locations in the Southeast U.S. have reportedly closed their doors recently due to expiring leases. 

Reviewed in last year’s Coffee Shop Bracket as one of the top off-campus coffee shops, students will now have to look elsewhere for a smooth nitro cold brew in the Hillsboro area.