Study and sweat safely: how to work out without a gym

If you’re looking to avoid public spaces this semester but want to keep your fitness game strong, these virtual workouts can be just as effective as your gym or favorite fitness class.

Though back-to-school looks very different this year, returning to campus still calls for a return to a steady routine. If you’re eager to work-off the “quarantine 15” without having to mask-up at the gym, try these dorm, apartment and house friendly workouts.

Rachael DeVaux

During my many months at home, personal trainer and avid Instagrammer Rachael DeVaux kept me sane. Under her handle @rachaelsgoodeats, DeVaux posted live IGTV at-home workouts every Wednesday and Saturday. These 30 to 60-minute sweat sessions combine strength and cardio. DeVaux’s page also features shorter workouts which make effective study breaks. Perfect for working out in an alternative space, DeVaux’s classes typically only require weights and a chair, and she demonstrates modifications for those without the proper equipment. Plus, all of her workouts are free! While you’re on her page, take a moment to check out the healthy recipes to make in your apartment after your workout and make the most of your off-campus living experience.

Instagram will load in the frontend.

Peloton—at home fitness app

Though Peloton is best known for its bikes, the Peloton—at home fitness app can kick you into shape just as well. For $12.99 a month, you can become a Peloton Digital Member and have unlimited access to Peloton’s strength, cardio, yoga, bootcamp and stretching classes, plus their indoor and outdoor guided runs. Most of these workouts are easy to complete in a confined space, though some do require weights. Peloton is a versatile exercise program and can help users develop their athletic ability in a well-rounded manner. One of Peloton’s greatest features is that class participants rank its difficulty for public viewing, so that you can have a sense of what you’re getting yourself into before you start moving.

Melissa Wood Health

For those who love pilates and yoga, @melissawoodhealth on Instagram is the answer to your fitness needs. Wood offers a library of classes that focus on sculpting and leaning your body through low impact movement (perfect if you have neighbors and thin walls or floors!). Her exercises can be accessed through her website or through her app. All of Wood’s exercises can be done entirely using body weight which means no gym necessary. Her program also includes guided meditations, making her program a great way to practice self-care after, before or in between classes.

Instagram will load in the frontend.

Go Outside

If you have some extra time on your hands and want some fresh air, try running the stairs at Percy Warner Park or going hiking at Radnor Lake. Need someone to motivate you? Barre3 offers weekly outdoor classes in Centennial Park (sign up through the link in their Instagram bio). You can even take your virtual class outdoors if WiFi permits! With Nashville’s many parks and sunny weather, there are plenty of ways to get those endorphins to kick in. 

Instagram will load in the frontend.

Working out might not look the same this year, but don’t let the change in circumstances stop you from reaching your goals and getting stronger this fall.