Nashville from above. (Former Hustler Multimedia/Emily Gonçalves)

LIVE UPDATES: Nashville Protests

The Hustler will continue to update this story with information about the protests.

Last updated June 1 at 2:18 a.m. CDT. This story will no longer be updated.

The Hustler will be following the protests that are occurring in Nashville. These protests began after the death of George Floyd and the protests in Minneapolis thereafter. This movement has spread to different cities including New York City, Denver and now Nashville. 

May 31

[8:18 p.m. CDT]

Metro Nashville PD reported that Wesley Somers, 25, suspected of arson of city hall, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, felony arson and vandalism.

Man, suspected to be Wesley Somers, appears to be setting the courthouse on fire on May 30, 2020. (The Tennessean/Andrew Nelles)

[4:15 p.m. CDT]

Governor Bill Lee announced that the National Guard would remain mobilized and an 8 p.m. CDT curfew. He also announced that the Department of Safety and Homeland Security, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and local law enforcement authorities would work together to investigate the “unlawful incidents” that occurred on May 30, 2020.

[5:50 a.m. CDT]

Metro Nashville PD reported as of 4:06 a.m. that they counted 30 businesses and buildings damaged by protestors on the night of May 30.

One of 30 businesses and buildings damaged by protestors as of 4:06 a.m. on May 31, 2020. (Metro Nashville PD)

May 30

[9:09 p.m. CDT]

Governor Bill Lee authorized the mobilization of the National Guard in response to Nashville protests that have become “violent, unlawful.”

[8:45 p.m. CDT]

Metro Nashville PD announced a 10 p.m. curfew.

Mayor John Cooper declared “a state of civil emergency.”

[8:23 p.m. CDT]

Riot police are back to the courthouse and using tear gas and flash bangs.

[8:2o p.m. CDT]

The courthouse is now on fire.

[7:35 p.m. CDT]

WeGo Public Transit say they’ve temporarily suspended service and shut down WeGo Central for safety reasons.

[7:22 p.m. CDT]

The statue of Edward Carmack at the Capitol has been brought down by protestors.

[7:22 p.m. CDT]

Police are moving back from the courthouse building after protestors break windows. The building also serves as the city hall.

[7:01 p.m. CDT]

Protestors break windows at the Metro Nashville courthouse.

[6:43 p.m. CDT]

Protestors graffiti Bridgestone Arena.

[6:11 p.m. CDT]

Protestors are beginning to throw rocks and trying to push the police line at the precinct back.

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1266869774426034186?s=20

[5:40 p.m. CDT]

Central precinct commander Gordon Howey says multiple people have been arrested, and he believes that no pepper spray has been used per The Tennessean.

[5:33 p.m. CDT]

Nashville protests begin to show signs of violence per Natalie Allison at The Tennessean.

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1266860193616400384?s=20

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1266858640650240001

[4:40 p.m. CDT]

The march, with thousands of demonstrators, has thus far been peaceful. Organizers of the event have told the attendees to remain peaceful.

Protestors at the ‘I Will Breathe Movement” on May 30, 2020. (The Tennessean/Larry McCormack)

Mayor John Cooper will attend an “I Will Breathe” rally, organized by leaders and advocate organizations in Nashville’s Black Community. The rally, protesting police brutality and racism, is scheduled to start at First Baptist Church Capitol and will reach Legislative Plaza and will take place from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. CDT. A march is scheduled to follow the rally.

Protestors at Legislative Plaza May 30, 2020. (WKRN/Stassy Olmos)

May 29

More than 24 cities continue to have protests.

Now ex-officer Chauvin has been arrested and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Vanderbilt posted the following statement regarding the incident:

“The recent events in Minneapolis that led to the death of George Floyd have once again cast a spotlight on the challenges that African Americans and people of color face in this country. Mr. Floyd’s terrible, unnecessary and untimely death, as well as his treatment during his last seven minutes of life, again raises the existential question of whether some lives are more valued than others.

Life is to be cherished and its protection falls on the shoulders of all of us, but even more importantly, on those given the authority to protect and defend our lives and laws.

In all our roles as educators, scholars and stewards of the best ideas and values of a civil society, we must be part of the national chorus that cries out that all lives are valuable. Furthermore, as a community we should question why incidents such as these continue to occur, and what role we can play in creating a fairer and just world.

At Vanderbilt, equity, diversity and inclusion are a major and treasured part of our ethos, and we do not tolerate racism, prejudice, hatred or violence in any form.”

May 28

Protests continued in Minneapolis and eventually escalated to the burning of the Minneapolis Third Precinct police station. Other protests broke out in other cities including Denver, Colorado; Columbus, Ohio; Phoenix, Arizona and New York City, New York.

May 27

Protests in Minneapolis escalated as Target and other local businesses were raided.

May 26

The four officers involved in the incident were all fired by the Minneapolis Police Department. Thousands gathered to protest in Minneapolis.

May 25

George Floyd, 46, was involved in an incident with four police officers on May 25, 2020 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Four police officers restrained a handcuffed Floyd with one officer, Derek Chauvin, placing his knee on Floyd’s neck. Eventually, Floyd was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center and was pronounced dead 9:25 p.m. later that day. The video of the incident has since been widely shared across social media and may be disturbing to watch.