Farewell from afar: contribute to this year’s virtual graduation send-off

Vanderbilt graduation committee celebrates the Class of 2020 with a virtual farewell video in lieu of a traditional ceremony.
Taken at Class of 2019 graduation.

Calling all seniors! In this time of uncertainty and online classes, Vanderbilt has decided to postpone in-person graduation festivities for the Class of 2020. In the meantime, the university will hold a virtual recognition ceremony this spring to honor the graduates, while an official ceremony with traditional festivities will be held in 2021, separate from next year’s graduating class. With hopes of giving the class some of the recognition they deserve now, the graduation committee is compiling photos, videos, anecdotes and faculty memories from seniors. 

“I think this initiative will give us something to look forward to in the short term, in the virtual recognition ceremony, but also in the long term for the 2021 celebration,” senior committee member Kelvin Boateng said. 

They plan on using the collected memories for both a celebration video to be released in the very near future and a series of stories set to be published throughout the summer. Ideally, all items will be collected by Friday, April 17 through this link. The video will hopefully strike a sentimental chord and provide at least some closure for this year’s class. 

“As a senior, everything happened so fast. I couldn’t process the fact that I was saying goodbye to college life as I knew it,” Boateng said. “I’m hoping to find a bit of that closure in being able to see our accomplishments celebrated and getting to see friends again next spring.”

Please contribute to the project by submitting any materials as soon as possible. Congratulations to the Class of 2020—we love you!