Valentine’s Day brings a time for anti-rom coms to thrive

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and everyone is scrambling to make plans for the special evening. Some of us will spend the day with our partners celebrating romance, love and everything it stands for. Others of us will take the day with our friends, reveling in the solidarity of being single. No matter where we find ourselves, there’s no better way to celebrate the day of love with some good ol’ fashion cheesy romance movies. But we’ve all seen 10 Things I Hate About You and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days ten times too many, so here’s a list of the best lesser-known and genre bending romance flicks ready to stream in time for Thursday.

Her (2013)

Do you like your rom-coms with a splash of existential dread? Then look no further than this beautiful film where everyone falls in love with computers. This film will teach you that love transcends all, and that Joaquin Phoenix can rock a quirky moustache.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

For any of us that have been through a heavy breakup, sometimes we wish that we could just forget our exes entirely. This film proves that doing so would be a horrible decision. With relatable dialogue and a mind-blowing twist, Eternal Sunshine will show you that love is worth it, no matter how it ends.

Gerald’s Game (2017)

Horror fans will love this take on a romantic getaway gone wrong, without the need of a masked psychopath looming nearby. While this movie may make you never want to spice up your love life, it will take you on one hell of a ride.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

What would you do to win someone over? Would you fight seven maniacs to the death? Well, Scott Pilgrim would. Words cannot describe the amount of fun this movie is, despite Scott’s questionable decisions throughout the plot.

PS: If you can find a version with the alternate ending, please do so. If not, you can find the scene here The main ending kind of negates the film’s entire point, but I’d still recommend it nonetheless.

The Lobster (2015)

This movie follows Colin Farrell as he joins an institution that helps you find the love of your life, or else you will be turned into an animal. If that isn’t the most unique premise to a romance film, I don’t know what is.

Punch Drunk Love (2002)

Adam Sandler gives the performance of his career in this film. The music, acting, writing and framing are impeccable, and the chemistry between the leads is electric. This film is incredibly touching and shows a depiction of love unlike any other.

Heathers (1988)

Heathers deconstructs everything we know about high school rom-coms. It also has some of the most quotable lines of the genre. Nothing better than star-crossed lovers falling for each other by murdering classmates.

Sixteen Candles (1984)

There’s nothing particularly unique or quirky about this one, but it’s Sixteen Candles, and I love it. If you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favor. Seriously.

Cover photo courtesy Techspot.