Live On The Green: artists to watch

An image captured from Live On The Green 2017. Photo by Lilly Urness.

While there’s still another month before the start of autumn, this weekend marks the end of summer in Nashville as Live On The Green comes to a close. The free music festival in Public Square Park will surely be going out with a bang, if the ensuing artists are any indication. Here’s a run-down of which artists to check out and when they play this weekend.

Thursday, August 30th
The New Respects will start the night off at 5:30 p.m., followed by Rival Sons, Savannah Conley, The Wild Feathers, Roots of A Rebellion and Dr. Dog. My two must-see acts are Rival Sons and Dr. Dog.  

Rival Sons
Itching for a rock band that has the edge and heaviness that once ruled the 70s music scene? This band is for you. Like their slightly more popular peers In Royal Blood, Greta Van Fleet and Highly Suspect, Rival Sons combine elements of blues and 70s hard rock to create a heavy sound in the vein of Led Zeppelin. Check out their debut album, Pressure & Time, as well as the singles “Thundering Voices” and “Electric Man” to get an idea of their sound.

Dr. Dog
If you enjoy classic indie rock bands, look no further than Dr. Dog. Veterans to the scene, these guys have been playing a pivotal role in the indie movement since 1999. Their older sound is characteristically lo-fi, so make sure to check them out if you’re a fan of more recent indie acts like Car Seat Headrest. They will be headlining Thursday on the main stage from 9:30 to 11:00 p.m.

Friday, August 31st
Mikky Ekko, a personal favorite of mine for this day, will be the first act, starting at 5:15 p.m. His performance will be followed by Waker, Theo Katzman, The Foxies, Elliot Root, Republican Hair and the ever so popular X Ambassadors.

Mikky Ekko
Originally featured on Rihanna’s 2013 hit “Stay,” Mikky Ekko has slowly but surely garnered a name for himself as a pop rock artist. His debut album, Time, came out in 2015, and his sophomore effort of Fame is expected to drop sometime this year. His newest single, “Not The One,” is a great way to dive into the rest of Mikky’s repertoire.

X Ambassadors
Friday’s headliner is none other than the X Ambassadors, who’ve made quite the name for themselves in the past few years. Their 2015 debut album VHS gave us hits like “Jungle,” “Renegades” and “Unsteady,” all of which have made it onto the Billboard Alternative charts. The band will be performing on the main stage from 9:45 to 11:00 p.m.

Saturday, September 1st
The final day of the festival is also the one with arguably the best lineup. Larkin Poe is the first artist of the day, kicking it off at 3:45 p.m. She is followed by Vandy’s own Arlie, Rayland Baxter, Paul McDonald, Lissie, LUTHI, ZZ Ward, Jackson Bruck & the Dukes of Hume, Matt and Kim, Natalie Prass and finally the headliner Jimmy Eat World. The best two to check out are Rayland Baxter and Jimmy Eat World, although Matt and Kim put on quite the show.

Rayland Baxter
While this festival doesn’t have much in the way of country music, Rayland Baxter’s music largely incorporates country elements. The Americana musician calls Nashville his home. Check out his 2015 album Imaginary Man.

Jimmy Eat World
A band that needs no introduction, Jimmy Eat World is headlining Saturday night. Their songs from the early 2000s are more than just emo anthems, they’re simply great songs all around. “The Middle” and “Sweetness” are certainly highlights from their fourth studio album, Bleed American. They’ll play the main stage from 9:30 to 11:00 p.m.