Podcasts to help you attain your 2018 resolutions

Source: Kyler Russell

2017 was a big year. Between a string of catastrophic storms, the White House administration change and the birth of Beyoncé and Jay Z’s twins, it was nearly impossible to update our Twitter feeds quickly enough. This year promises just as many surprises, so it’s up to you to stay on top of each day’s events in a comprehensive, meaningful way. Whether your 2018 resolution is to think deeper, run faster or love harder, there’s a story waiting inside the podcast app to help you get there.

If your 2018 resolution is…

1. To stay informed

The Daily – The New York Times

The DailyThe New York Times
This 20-minute briefing is available by 6 a.m. on weekdays. Host Michael Barbaro tackles the day’s most prominent stories by delivering facts and analysis and including sources to speak first-hand.  

WSJ What’s NewsThe Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal’s WSJ What’s News podcast delivers the day’s top stories ranging from business to politics in less than 15 minutes. To track morning and evening news, this podcast has you covered with both a.m. and p.m. editions.

2. To find love (or understand why you can’t get a text back)

Why Oh Why – Andrea Silenzi
Unafraid to speak up about the awkward dating moments we have all tried to forget, Why Oh Why explores the intersection of technology and dating, love and sex from a variety of perspectives. While the host and guests’ storytelling is personal, it ultimately connects with the listener. You’ll shift your thinking from, “Why Oh Why Me?” to “Why Oh Why Us?”

Modern Love – The New York Times and WBUR

Modern LoveThe New York Times and WBUR
This popular podcast is hosted by Meghna Chakrabarti and editor Daniel Jones and features essays from the Modern Love column of the The New York Times. A self-proclaimed log of “stories of love, loss and redemption,” this podcast will pull at your heartstrings as it delves into a variety of forms and stages of love. Ranging from 10 to 25 minutes, Modern Love is a quick way to feel a burst of emotion and leave you thinking about the state of romance in 2018.

3. To gain new perspectives

Nancy – WNYC Radio
This podcast is an open conversation about LGBTQI life led by Kathy Tu and Tobin Low, two queer Asian-American bestfriends. Nancy is unfiltered and determined to reveal the serious realities of LGBTQI life without sacrificing jokes and jest. For a fresh perspective and a conversation starter, Nancy is a highly-acclaimed go-to podcast.

Where Should We Begin? – Esther Perel
Where Should We Begin? is not for hopeless romantics but rather for curious flies on the wall. Listeners are invited into anonymous couples’ therapy sessions to sit through their stories and examine the strength of human interaction. If you are looking for a fairytale, turn around. If you are interested in the harsh realities of relationships and romance, this podcast is for you.  

Code Switch – NPR

Code SwitchNPR
Code Switch, which refers to changing the way a person speaks or behaves in different environments, admits that race and identity can be sticky topics. This diverse group of NPR journalists is not intimidated by the barriers. In fact, they want to talk about them — even if it’s uncomfortable. Code Switch draws in diverse perspectives to discuss racial issues in politics, entertainment, sports and everything in between.

4. To get to the gym

20 Minute Fitness – Shape
If you’re interested in learning about the latest health and fitness trends, 20 Minute Fitness is a quick, easily-digestible podcast that will force you to consider the way you treat your body.  

TedTalks Health – TED

TedTalks Health TED
For visual learners, TedTalks Health invites accomplished doctors, researchers and other professionals to share their findings. Many of the videos are short, and the ability to watch the speaker’s presentation adds an additional element. This series makes the science behind health accessible, even if you only have a 10 minute break.

5. To stop mixing up “tip off” with “kick off”

Pardon My Take – Barstool Sports

Pardon My Take – Barstool Sports
If you are in the market for the most outlandish and most correct sports takes on the planet, you’ve come to the right place. Pardon My Take, hosted by Dan “Big Cat” Katz and PFT Commenter, is one of the best sports podcasts out there. Big Cat and PFT discuss the latest sports topics with the brash enthusiasm that Barstool Sports is known for. They also bring on plenty of prominent guests, including national sports reporters and even Anthony Scaramucci.

The Steve Dangle Podcast – Steve Dangle and Adam Wylde
Hosts Steve “Dangle” Glynn and Adam Wylde, along with producer Jesse Blake, talk about the latest and greatest around the hockey world. They focus a lot of their attention on the Toronto Maple Leafs, but they bounce around to all of the trending topics in the NHL. They’ll also tell some of their favorite stories from their wacky lives, including getting lit up by roman candles and starting their own fake rumor mill.

6. To dress better

Vogue Podcast – Vogue
The fashion world can often feel inaccessible and too high brow, especially if you’re just getting started. Vogue’s podcast gives a human touch to the seemingly impenetrable world of high fashion. Join host André Leon Talley as he chats about the fashion world’s hot topics and happenings with industry leaders.

GQ Style

Corporate Lunch – GQ Style
A behind-the-scenes look into the men’s magazine with editor-in-chief Will Welch and senior editor Noah Johnson, Corporate Lunch is a deep dive into men’s style. The weekly podcast hones in on the latest trends, figures and men’s fashion news of the week.

7. To take a deeper look at life

Philosophize This! – Stephen West

Philosophize This! – Stephen West
If AXLE has robbed you of the opportunity to fully immerse yourself in Descartes and Hume, fear not. Philosophize This! is a 30 minute podcast that discusses philosophical concepts and thinkers for beginners, eventually going further in depth and applying the lessons to today’s society.

Revisionist History – Malcolm Gladwell and Panoply Media
Have you always believed your history textbooks? Bestselling author Malcolm Gladwell asks you to backpedal on a journey to reexamine history “in his attempt to correct the record.” In over 10 episodes examining past events, figures and cultural symbols, Gladwell examines the untold side of history in an effort to extract the truth.

8. To motivate yourself  

StartUp – Gimlet Media
StartUp is a mini-series about the trials and tribulations of starting a business. Launched by Alex Blumberg, a journalist that started the podcast with little business experience, StartUp is full of guest speakers and case studies exhibiting the grit and determination that it takes to be an entrepreneur.

Girlboss Radio – Girlboss Media

Girlboss Radio – Girlboss Media
Focusing on innovative and strong women, Girlboss Radio inspires its listeners and humanizes successful female figures. Host and entrepreneur Sophia Amoruso interviews moguls and go-getters to find out what makes them tick. Filled with humor, humility and advice, “Girlboss Media” is a must for all aspiring leaders.