What should the new Vanderbilt football stadium be called?

Ziyi Liu
Stadium during Vanderbilt’s 34-10 loss against Florida at Vanderbilt Stadium November 8, 2014.

Last week, Adam Sparks of the Tennessean reported that Vanderbilt athletic director David Williams wants to push up plans to build a new football stadium on campus.

Williams is planning on meeting with university planners and financial officers soon because he thinks “when you look at SEC stadiums, we are not in the same ballpark as the rest of them.”

He told Sparks he wants to build this new stadium within the next three to four years but will run into some obstacles. First, there’s not much more room for expansion of the stadium. It is bordered by the Marriott hotel, Hawkins Field, Memorial Gym, Jess Neely Drive and Natchez Trace. Also, the sources of funding for this new stadium are in question.

So, when or if this stadium gets built, it will need a name. That’s where you come in, Commodore fans. As we all know, internet naming contests always produce the desired result for all parties involved (looking at you, Boaty McBoatface).

If the Vanderbilt athletic department won’t hold a naming contest for this new stadium, then we will. Below are four suggestions for the name of the proposed new football stadium, as well as a form to submit your own. The top suggestions will be entered in a poll and you, the readers, can choose the fake stadium name for Vanderbilt.

Here are some good possibilities to get the creative juices flowing:

JoJo Fletcher Field at Jordan Rodgers Stadium

The royal couple of Vanderbilt would look great on a stadium, wouldn’t they? There is no better way to honor arguably the single greatest accomplishment of a Vanderbilt football player than naming the new Vanderbilt stadium after a couple from The Bachelorette.

This new stadium should also feature a statue of Rodgers proposing to Fletcher on the beach in Thailand. What a sight that would be.

Johnny McCrary Memorial Stadium

In 2015, we witnessed the slow decline of a promising football career. In light of this, it would be fair to honor the lost career of Johnny McCrary by naming the new stadium in his honor. Statues could include his interception at the goal line against Western Kentucky, his failed 2-point conversion attempt in the same contest and literally any moment from the Georgia game last season.

The new facility would be nicknamed “The House That Johnny Built But Then Fumbled Away.”

Neyland Stadium West

I know #CheckerVandy never came to fruition, but it would be funny if a Vol fan entered this name. Hopefully this year’s game is competitive and lacks a distinct orange color, but I’m not keeping my hopes up.

Harambe McStadiumface

I mean, this is the internet, right?

Your Turn!

What would you want the new Vanderbilt football stadium to be called? Submit your choice in the form below. We’ll pick the 10 best submissions and put them up for a vote next week. The winner will be immortalized in a photoshop mock-up of the new stadium gates, and a prize to be determined later.

Will David Williams accept our suggestions? Probably not.

Will we still unofficially call the new stadium by the winning name? You betcha.

Submit your suggestion here: