Pour one out for JJ’s

Pour one out for JJ’s

Andrew Kolondra Jr.

Just a short walk down Broadway, behind Wilson Hall at the northeast corner of campus, J & J’s Market and Cafecommonly called just “JJ’s”has long been a staple of campus life for many students, whether they would stop by after class to grab a coffee and a bite to eat, to meet with a TA to discuss a paper or simply to chat with friends. Some time in the next two months, according to an emotional post on the cafe’s Facebook page, that will all come to an end.

The post graciously thanked the community, staff and vendors for their support for over 16 years of operation under the market’s current owners and noted that November will be the cafe’s last month of operation. It goes on to describe the J & J’s mission and commemorate the “laughter” and “passion” felt in the coffee shop over the years.

“We have shared countless loving memories in this place. We have built this place together,” reads the post.

This loss of yet another off-campus hotspot comes fresh off the heels of the sudden closing of Atmalogy on Oct. 14, another popular coffee shop on West End across from Carmichael Towers, and is only the latest in an apparent trend of closings in recent months.