October arts rundown

Photo courtesy the Tennessee Performing Arts Center.

Nashville’s vibrant fine arts scene has so much more to offer outside of its country-centric reputation. Here are just a few of the many exciting events coming up this month.

Tennessee Performing Arts Center
TPAC kicks off this spooky month with the hit comedy play, The Play That Goes Wrong. This show, running from Oct. 9 to 14, has been making audiences last since its 2012 premiere, when the opening night of a murder mystery play takes some unexpected turns. In addition, Andrew Jackson Hall will host The Phantom of the Opera from Oct. 24 to Nov. 4. This classic Andrew Lloyd Webber musical is the perfect way to settle into the October mood. Use the code “DORES” for 15% off of any ticket purchases.

Frist Friday: A Night in Paris
On Oct. 26 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., the Frist Art Museum presents a journey to the city of love right here in Music City. Performances include live acrobats and retro French music reimagined through a pop band and string quartet. Multiple exhibitions will be on display, including art and clothing from Paris at the turn of the 20th century. Food will be served throughout the night, and admission is free with a student ID. Click here for more information.

Nashville Symphony Movie Nights
What better way to enjoy this October than scary movies and live music by our city’s own orchestra? Come get into the Halloween mood with the Nashville Symphony, as they play the film scores along to The Night Before Christmas (Oct. 25 and 26) and The Phantom of the Opera (Oct. 30). Find more information here.

Tennessee Craft Fair
Channel your inner craftiness with the annual Tennessee Craft Fair. From Oct. 12 to 14, Centennial Park will host over 200 artists displaying their hand-made works. A Nashville tradition since 1972, the fair will also include live demonstrations and is free to the public.

Upcoming Concerts
Nashville is home to a plethora of notable concerts this month. Here are just a few:
Bridgestone Arena: Bridgestone (Oct. 7-8), Childish Gambino (Oct. 12), Elton John (Oct. 24)
Ryman Auditorium: CHVRCHES (Oct. 15), Young the Giant (Oct. 30)
Cannery Ballroom: Passenger (Oct. 13)