Hannah, Alexa and Joe: Steadfast Coffee Review

Friends and fellow coffee fanatics Alexa and Hannah review Nashville’s new and lesser-known coffee shops in their column “Alexa, Hannah and Joe.” Alexa writes, and Hannah is behind the camera. Check back each Tuesday to find your new favorite cup of joe!

Nestled on a side street in the Nashville neighborhood of Germantown, Steadfast Coffee is one of the Nashville coffee scene’s hidden gems. The simple set-up of this coffee shop feels warm and conversational, and it offers a unique mix of traditional filter brews and cutting edge espresso drinks.

Walk up the stairs to the complex that houses Steadfast Coffee and you’ll find a spacious patio and seating area. There’s plenty of space to sit at a picnic-style table with friends, or you can grab a table for two closer to the entrance.

The interior is sleek yet homey, featuring lots of whites and light woods illuminated by warm lighting. On a cloudy fall Tuesday in Nashville, this was the perfect retreat from the cooling weather.

The coffee bar is central to the space, commanding your attention from the minute you walk in. The open feel of the space lends it an authentic atmosphere, although the space feels a little small in its entirety. Glass garage doors let in natural light that make the space look bigger than it really is.

I was caught off-guard, and a little worried, when I didn’t see a menu posted on the wall: was this coffee shop so niche that I should be able to order on the spot? An appropriately coffee-stained pile of paper menus by the register assuaged my fears. Steadfast offers a limited menu of specialty drinks, including flash-chilled coffee, a twist on the cold brew trend, and Matchless coffee soda, a carbonated drink with hints of citrus. The food menu is more extensive than the drink menu, with breakfast options like breakfast tacos that we’ll be sure to come back and try another time.

Alexa’s Order: I got the featured filter coffee, which was the Vista al Bosque brew from Huehuetenango, Guatemala. Huehuetenango is one of the premier coffee-producing regions in the world, and this did not disappoint. The dark chocolate, plum and raspberry flavors combine to create a delicious, fruity brew. When I ordered, the barista asked if I wanted sugar or cream, and I’m glad I said no, because it would’ve been a shame to dilute the taste of such a delicious brew. If Peet’s Coffee requires half and half to be barely consumable, then the Vista al Bosque brew is on the opposite side of the spectrum— it should be illegal to add anything to coffee that is this delicious on its own.

Score: 5 out of 5 cups

Hannah’s Order: I ordered a standard latte, or in their words an “Espresso + Milk.” While I enjoyed the flavor and the subtlety of the espresso, it was nothing to call home about. With their smaller coffee menu, Iwas hoping that this drink would be a standout and have a more unique espresso flavor. I might have missed out by not trying one of their signature lattes that had more unusual flavors and ingredients like butterscotch or flamed orange. If you want a predictable drink with subtle flavors, this is what you’re looking for.

Score: 3 out of 5 cups

The Steadfast roastery is located in Franklin, TN. Steadfast prides itself on creating a roasting profile that accentuates the growing environment of the coffee beans that they roast.

Steadfast Coffee offered everything you might want in a higher-end coffee shop:quality brews from a reputable region, an impressive coffee bar and a perfectly-curated atmosphere. I could see myself spending hours here. But although it was the quintessential Nashville coffee shop – with a meaningful name, light atmosphere and no customers over the age of 30 – it’s hard to pinpoint a characteristic that made Steadfast unique. That said, it’s the kind of place that could quickly become a reliable favorite.