Plan your weekend (3/23-3/25)

Plan your weekend (3/23-3/25)

Spring at Vanderbilt. Flower blossom, taken on Friday, March 16, 2018. (Photo by Claire Barnett)

Avery Muir, Life Editor

Looking to try something new this weekend? Peruse the events below and make a point to attend something outside of your comfort zone. For more offerings, check out Anchor Link.

[su_spoiler title=”Sports” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Sports

What: Baseball vs. Louisiana State University
When: Friday, March 23 at 8 p.m.
Where: Hawkins Field
Why: Enjoy the great American pastime as Vandy takes on Louisiana State University.
Who: Vanderbilt Athletics

What: Football’s Spring Showcase vs. Middle Tennessee State
When: Saturday, March 24 at 3 p.m.
Where: Vanderbilt Stadium
Why: Support our ‘Dores in their first game this spring.
Who: Vanderbilt Athletics

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Cultural” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Cultural

What: Wrestling with our past: Vanderbilt, Race and the Confederate Legacy
When: Friday, March 23 at 8:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Where: Flynn Auditorium
Why: Engage in a discussion regarding Vanderbilt’s history with race. The symposium includes the following events: Memory, The Lost Cause, and Confederate Memorial Hall (8:30 a.m.); Academia in Struggle with the Slave and Confederate Past (10 a.m.); Vanderbilt and Black Nashville (1 p.m.); The Way Forward (2:30 p.m.).
Who: Chancellor’s Office

What: March for Our Lives
When: Saturday, March 24 at 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Where: Public Square Park
Why: Stand with the Parkland students as they make students’ voices heard in the gun safety debate. Lyft rides down to Public Square are free, so make the trip and march for your life.
Who: Abby Brafman and the Parkland activists

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Recreational” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Recreational

What: Flashback Friday
When: Friday, March 23 at 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Where: Student Life Center
Why: Miss the good ol’ days when would come home after a taxing day of elementary school and flip on the TV to watch iCarly or The Suite Life of Zack and Cody? Still enraged that Heinz stopped making purple ketchup? Ever see a tree and miss the days when it was socially acceptable to climb it? The VenUe hears you, and their Flashback Friday event is bringing back some of your greatest childhood hits, including arcade games, chicken nuggets and hula hoop competitions.
Who: VPB’s The VenUe

What: Commodore Quest
When: Saturday, March 24 at 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Kissam MPR
Why: Puzzles. Prizes. Food. Glory. Need we say more?
Who: Commodore Quest

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Arts” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Arts

What: Stand Up Showdown
When: Saturday, March 24 at 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Where: Sarratt Cinema
Why: Bask in the comedic talent of this all-star lineup of Vandy students. Tickets are $5 on the card at the Sarratt box office, or can be bought at the door with venmo or cash.
Who: The Slant

What: FLiCX presents Foxtrot
When: Sunday, March 25 at 7 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
Where: Belcourt Theatre
Why: Enjoy a screening of Foxtrot, the winner of the Silver Lion, 2017 Venice Film Festival. The film examines the strength and absurdity of military service from several intimate points of view.
Who: FLiCX

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Health & Wellness” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Health & Wellness

What: Sweat for STF with Questbridge: 5K for Girls’ Education
When: Saturday, March 24 at 10 p.m. to 1 p.m.
Where: Jean & Alexander Heard Library
Why: Join She’s the First for their first ever 5K run so you can support girls’ education and knock out your weekend workout. All of the net proceeds go to funding the educations of girls in low-income countries who are trying to be the first in their families to graduate from high school.
Who: She’s the First at Vanderbilt

What: Green Dot Bystander Intervention Training: VSG
When: Sunday, March 25 at 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Rand 308
Why: Get informed on how to identify and be proactive in high-risk situations to contribute to a campus culture where the intolerance of violence is the norm.
Who: Project Safe

[/su_spoiler]

Editor’s note: Source of event information is Anchor Link and Facebook