What to know ahead of Nashville March for Our Lives on March 24

Vanderbilt students, faculty and members of the Nashville community gather in front of Central Library to participate in the National Walkout for Gun Control. The event, which was in remembrance of the Parkland shooting victims, took place from 10 to 10:17am on Wednesday, March 14, 2018. (Photo by Claire Barnett)

On March 24, thousands of people across the world will participate in the over 800 March for Our Lives events demanding a focus on campus safety and ending gun violence. Nashville’s March for Our Lives, organized by a team of Vanderbilt students, will take place on Saturday in Public Square Park.

The event will begin at 9 a.m. with introductory speakers before beginning to march. The march will proceed through downtown, in front of the state capitol, before returning back to Public Square Park for a rally. The rally will include performances and speeches as well as food trucks, children’s activities and voter registration. The event is expected to last until 12:30 p.m.

Prior to the event, organizers and supporters are hosting a sign making and discussion event on March 22 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Plaza Mariachi.

The March for Our Lives Nashville team is fundraising to pay for various needs such as permits, speakers and security. Additionally, they are raising money and awareness through the sale of shirts, which will be available for purchase at the march.

Participants are encouraged to arrive as early as 7 a.m. Parking will be available in the Public Square Park Garage and the Public Square Garage on Deaderick street and rideshare drop off will be on James Robertson Parkway. Lyft will be offering free rides to those attending the march up to $1.5 million worth of rides. To claim a free ride, users must RSVP before the march.

[pdf-embedder url=”https://vanderbilthustler.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/ROUTE-March-.pdf” title=”ROUTE March”]