The most “Nashville” spots in Nashville

Photo credit: Nashville Lifestyles

Now that the weather is becoming tolerable, it’s time to look at your weekends for what they are: opportunities to explore the best Nashville has to offer. It’s easy to fall into the Saturday slump of not knowing what to see or where to go, so here’s a list of the must-hit Nashville spots before you graduate.

Two Old Hippies: 401 12th Ave South
Head to The Gulch for some of the best window shopping of your life. Two Old Hippies, a boutique that oozes charm, sells everything from statement jackets to acoustic guitars. While the edgy socks and stationary might be the only things that fit into the average college student’s budget, the overall vibe makes it worth a trip. Be sure to check out their event schedule before you go to keep up to date with a variety of local singer-songwriters that frequently hold concerts in the back of the shop.

Fido: 1812 21st Ave S
A Hillsboro staple, Fido always delivers the perfect mix of chic coffeehouse comfort while being a decently quiet weekday study spot. The lattes are aesthetically pleasing enough to make even the trendiest Insta, and if that’s not enough to get your through the door, it’s rumored to be a great place to spot celebrities.

Peg Leg Porker: 903 Gleaves St
The Peg Leg Porker is a superb barbeque joint. It’s fast, cheap and messy. There’s even a barbeque manifesto posted on the wall, ready to read while you order. The restaurant is picturesque in terms of its authenticity, so while you may not get a great pic, you’ll have a great time and high quality barbecue. For any vegetarians who make the trip, the mac and cheese is also worth the drive.

The Bluebird Cafe: 4104 Hillsboro Pike
Surround yourself with some of the most talented singer-songwriters Nashville has to offer at the legendary Bluebird Cafe. Whether you want to see “the heroes behind the hits” in action or are just looking to hear some new music, the intimate setup at the renowned club is the perfect spot for both. You can reserve tables for their open mic nights the day of, or plan ahead and attend an iconic In The Round session here.

Parnassus Book Store: Hillsboro Plaza Shopping Center
Co-owned by author Ann Patchett, Parnassus offers a wide selection of books, including a large local author section. Named after the mythological Mount Parnassus, a haven for literature, learning and music, the independent bookstore nobly aims to provide that same haven for Nashvillians. Between the floor-to-ceiling shelves of books and the regularly held events featuring visiting authors, Parnassus is worth the Uber for any bookworm.

Centennial Park: 2500 West End Ave
Despite its proximity to campus, Centennial park is an underrated gem. It’s the perfect spot for a run, a picnic or a photoshoot in front of the Parthenon. So next time you swipe your Commodore Card at Bread and Co., take it to go, cross the street and enjoy the Nashville icon before you. After all, it’s the only Parthenon replica outside of Athens.