WHEAT: I’m Asian, I don’t use the n-word and neither should you

Photo by Ziyi Liu

I am a Vietnamese American first-year student at Vanderbilt University who, candidly, has had enough with the slipshod utterances that manage to escape the mouths of my fellow non-Black peers. “I’m from Thailand. I can say n****r. Blacks don’t have beef with me —” and so the conversation goes. The dangerous territory we enter when we sling around rhetoric like this with such clear and reckless disregard is that which welcomes the normalization of racism by tiering the different ethnic groups into various strata.

So stop saying it. It’s as easy as that. No one, irrespective of the environments in which they were raised, should be comfortable with racism. And that, my friends, is precisely what happens when someone who is not Black invites that hateful word into their lexicon: comfort in racism. “But why would anyone want to feel comfort in racism?” one might wonder. The answer, however, may perhaps be found merely by observing precedent.

It seems that many societies with multiple minority groups constantly try to make comparisons and competitive distinctions among the existing classes, elevating some while lowering others. When America saw a large influx of Asian immigrants in the earliest decades of the 20th century, there were ghettos that sprung up all across the nation that consisted of predominantly Asian-born residents. Yet when the transitional process of assimilation into American culture eventually did occur, something unique but certainly not unexpected took place. For Asian Americans (along with other minority immigrant populations), it was easy to note the obvious racial divisions that existed between whites and Blacks, and it was even easier for them to avail themselves of the low-hanging fruit by integrating themselves into the societally advantaged majority: white America. These immigrants, albeit unaccustomed to the novel and foreign traditions of the American lifestyle, were certainly not blind to the social injustices abound in America during the 1900s. In choosing to blend in with preexisting favored groups, they inadvertently deepened the divide between whites and Blacks in America.

The dangerous territory we enter when we sling around rhetoric like this with such clear and reckless disregard is that which welcomes the normalization of racism by tiering the different ethnic groups into various strata.

So now, in present-day America, it is somewhat understandable that many minority groups, whether they be Asian, Middle Eastern, Latino or otherwise, have found themselves in positions where they can choose to either hold their tongues or speak out against the microaggressive behaviors they regularly witness. These minorities exist in a sort of “ethnic middle ground” (one that is especially observable in the United States due to the dichotomous nature of American race relations). However, this does not mean they are wholly exempt from discrimination. For one, Mexican Americans have become a considerably socioeconomically disadvantaged demographic within the last few decades. Similarly, brown-skinned Americans, regardless of their countries of origin, are oftentimes shunned in social circles because of irrational and purely emotionally-driven fears of terrorism. Thus, a pattern develops in which minorities in America (really any minorities that aren’t associated with “whiteness”) are targeted and subsequently forced into a category of inferiority. All said, this is certainly not a pardon for Latino or Middle Eastern Americans to use or encourage the use of the N-word either.

So why the title of this article, then? Because Asians, at least in contemporary relations, have not been scapegoated or discriminated against nearly as readily or easily as other minority groups (let’s not forget about internment, though, America).

“Asian privilege” refers to the “[immunization] … from the systemic, routine and often lethal violence exercised by the state against the black community– not just episodes of individual killing, but the institutionalized violence of residential segregation, educational segregation, job discrimination, policing and mass incarceration.” And surely we cannot deny that Asian privilege is a hefty component to this new-wave discrimination that is taking place. Currently one of the highest-earning and most educated ethnic groups in America, Asians have consequently found that they share many (but not all) of the same privileges as their white counterparts.

So, cycling back to the crux of the argument, although from a historical standpoint “Blacks may not have much beef with you,” you should not use such rationale as an excuse to be complacent with racism. By using the N-word, especially in a manner that comes across as casual and customary, you are intentionally encouraging class stratification. At the end of the day, removing the N-word from your vocabulary is a small and painless task that will serve as just the first step of many in mending the discriminatory scars of our nation’s past.

Still, to truly transcend the barriers that our ancestors created, we need to be ready to combat the stigmas that are so heavily placed on Black Americans in any form. Doing so may not necessarily feel like a prerogative to non-Black Americans, but simply because we can assume both ignorance and silence does not mean we should. Now, this is hardly meant to be seen as an attempt to weigh one marginalized group’s issues against another’s. Rather, it is a much needed intervention and invitation for all of us to recognize the plights of our peers to unite against injustice.

Where we have failed and continue to fail as a nation is in promoting amicable and beneficial coexistence among all ethnic groups. We, as non-Black, non-white Americans must help right the wrongs of the past by using our voices to take action against inaction, empowering both ourselves and those around us all the while.

Tam Wheat, Former Author

M
Man with the Axe

Are Asian students more successful, on average, than white students because they have more privilege than white students?

Are young black men incarcerated at higher rates than young white or Asian men only because of discrimination, or do they actually commit crimes at much higher rates than whites or Asians?

What is a “marginalized” group? Is that a group that doesn’t have any power in the society? If one is a member of such a group, does that mean he cannot be successful? That he cannot be the president, or the attorney general? That he cannot do well in school, or get a job, get married, and only then have children?

J
Josh

Awesome

J
John

To be clear, I mostly agree with the points made, but here are some things that I think might be some good food for thought:

Do you believe that words have a meaning that is both inherent and intrinsic to them? If no, then HOW do you determine if specific usages of words are, in fact, racist given the context? If yes, then how do you account for words changing their meaning and usage throughout time? How can you determine that the given word hasn’t changed its meaning now? (which is most certainly true in this case. You cannot argue that the ‘N-word’ has not gained an additional meaning beyond that of a racist slur). Thus in your discussion you must prove that in ALL SITUATIONS saying the n-word is racist, and I do not think you have a sufficient warrant for this claim.

I have noticed that in a lot of work revolving around the usage of particular words very little thought is put into the context in which such words are used. We only seem to get the most offensive cases or random anecdotes that are not that well fleshed out. I find it hard to believe that a words is, in itself, so offensive that in ALL contexts it is inappropriate to use it as well as the claim that words have fixed meanings that can never change.

Furthermore, the fact that in academic/intellectual writing the usage of a euphemism for a word seems to actually give the word more power, for by making it an unspeakable, when used in “real life”, it is more jarring and offensive.

O
Olivia

Well said.

O
Olivia

Well said!

L
Lauryn

As a black student, I really appreciate your opinion piece. I have gone through my own evolution of understanding diversity and trying to take it out of a white vs black dichotomy and see the struggles that other racial and ethnic minorities go through. It is easier, however, to be unified with other minority group s when they do as you say in your piece and not make racism casual.
I know that all Asian groups are not the same nor have the “model minority” privilege that mostly is seen in East Asian groups. I know there are very particular struggles that Asian immigrant and Asian American communities deal with (even overt racism and hate crimes in heavily Asian populated places like California and Boston). I know that African Americans have been the focal point of civil rights battles and legislation and changing certain aspects of media that Asian communities are still trying to be heard about.
With all that said, you break a bridge between our communities when assumed language or stereotypes of Black communities are used, no matter the minority. It also allows for Black communities to not consider the partnerships with other groups because they have allowed anti-blackness to go on unchecked.