Vegan at Vandy: What I ate this weekend

Emily+Azzarito
Vegan at Vandy

Raise your hand if you love to watch people’s What I Eat In A Day videos on YouTube. Maybe that’s just me. I find it so oddly satisfying to peek into someone else’s life for a bit and see what they eat.

I definitely wouldn’t brand this as a suggestion of what you should eat to obtain any sort of health-related goal. This is just a thorough documentation of the random things I felt like putting into my body this weekend. I hope reading this gives you some of that weird satisfaction I’m talking about, and helps demystify the daily diet of a vegan.

Saturday

Green Tea and Chocolate Oatmeal

Usually I wake up in the morning and immediately chug coffee. For some reason, I felt like chilling out a bit this morning and went for the more zen alternative. I did some yoga, drank some water, sipped on that yummy tea and texted my mom.

When I got hungry, I microwaved a nice spotty banana, a pile of Quaker rolled oats and water for three minutes. At the beginning of this year, I moved into my dorm with a 10 pound bag of Quaker oats. I’m almost to the end of it and I’m very proud of myself. After the oats came out of the microwave, I added two huge tablespoons of raw cacao powder that my amazing mother shipped me via Amazon Prime for my birthday. Usually at this point, I’d add a healthy glug of maple syrup, but I’ve recently run out of my supply. Luckily, when you cook the banana in with the oats, it actually sweetens up a ton, so I didn’t miss the syrup too much.

Pecan Pie Lära Bar

After practicing the ol’ cello for a while, I grabbed a Lära Bar from the variety pack I keep in my Blair locker. My mother is also responsible for sending me these Lära Bars via Amazon Prime. Thank you, Mama.

Lay’s Salt and Vinegar Chips with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Around 6 p.m., I wandered over to Branscomb Munchie, the most abundant and plentiful of the Munchie Marts. I knew I wanted to spend my evening with a tub of hummus, so I made it happen. I needed some sort of vessel to dip into the hummus, so potato chips made perfect sense. That night was spent watching the British Bake-Off on Netflix sprawled out on my couch with my hummus and chips lying on my lap. It was dreamlike.

Leftover White Rice with Microwaved Red Bean Curry

I was still hungry after my pre-dinner dinner of chips and hummus. So, I scooped some warm white rice out of my roommate’s rice cooker and topped it with a packet of that Red Bean Curry in the pink cardboard package from Munchie. That stuff is highly-underrated; all of its ingredients are wholesome and it seriously sticks to your ribs.

Sunday

Banana and Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

This morning’s breakfast was a variation on a theme. I microwaved another slightly brown banana from my stash of leftover meal swipe sides with a bunch of oats and water. When it came out, I mushed it all together and dumped in a large dose of pumpkin pie spice on top. I think of it as basically just adding cinnamon, plus a couple more bonus spices like nutmeg.

Matcha Green Smoothie from The Juice Bar

I genuinely wanted coffee at this moment, but I’d already left the house, so I walked over to Hillsboro Village to hit up Provence for a lil’ something and saw that it was closed. I tried to keep my spirits up, despite utter devastation, and went to The Juice Bar instead. I did in fact spend $11 of meal money on a green smoothie. Don’t worry though, it was worth it for the vibe and the aesthetic picture of it I took.

An Orange, Green Machine Naked Juice, Smoked Almonds

This is how I chose to spend my final meal swipe of the week. I know, I really went out with a bang. I don’t know if I’ve raved about these almonds yet on here, but dang, you need to try them. They’re the ones in the red little bag amist that random assortment of bagged nuts in every Munchie Mart. As someone who hasn’t eaten bacon in eight years and likely has a very blurred perception of what it tastes like, these almonds taste just like bacon. If you’ve eat bacon recently, please eat these almonds and let me know your thoughts. I need genuine feedback.

A Sweet Potato with some of that Red Pepper Hummus and Soy Sauce

Y’all, just try getting one of the plastic-wrapped sweet potatoes next time you need an extra side from Munchie. You microwave it in the packaging for six minutes, and when it comes out, you will think to yourself, “I should really eat sweet potatoes more often.” This sweet delight was topped with a hearty dollop of yesterday’s hummus and a little drink of soy sauce.

Lemon Lära Bar

Mmm. Dessert. If you’ve never heard of Lära Bars, you should absolutely try them. Way before eating whole foods and plants was cool, they were out there making the most wholesome energy bars with the fewest ingredients. This one had just cashews, super sweet and sticky dates, and actual lemon. I wish they had these at Munchie Marts, but if you’ve got a dope mom with an Amazon Prime account, maybe she’ll hook you up with some.

Russell

Making me hungry!