Let’s Talk About Sex, Vandy: Common myths about STIs debunked

Ciarra+Leocadio
Let's Talk About Sex, Vandy

Continuing our series about questionable information presented in sexual education programs, here are three myths people often think are true about sexually transmitted infections!

MYTH: “People who get STIs are dirty or sexually promiscuous.”

This statement is false on a number of levels. First, this myth perpetuates stigma and discourages people from getting tested, even if they’re having sex, by labelling something so commonplace as “dirty.” Also, it is not the case that being sexually “promiscuous” automatically means that you’ll have a STI, just as it doesn’t mean that someone who only has had sex once is automatically in the clear. Any unprotected sex can lead to contraction of a STI. One in two sexually active individuals will get an STI at some point in their lifetime! In fact, the human papillomavirus (HPV) is so common that nearly all sexually active men and women get it at some point in their lives. Additionally, one in two sexually active persons will contract an STI by the age of 25. What can you do to decrease that risk? Consistent condom use provides substantial protection against the acquisition of many STIs, including statistically significant reduction of risk against HIV, chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes and syphilis.

MYTH: “You can get herpes from sitting on a toilet seat.”

It’s very unlikely that you would get genital herpes from a toilet seat. Because viruses must invade cells of a living host to reproduce, their life spans outside are generally shorter than those of bacteria, which reproduce on their own. Although viruses can survive outside a host on household surfaces, their ability to duplicate themselves is compromised, shortening the virus’s lifespan. Still, genital herpes is spread by skin–to–skin contact. In most cases, the virus enters your body through mucous membranes, which is the type of skin found in your mouth, genitals or anus. The virus can also enter your body through skin that has tiny scrapes or tears. Saliva spreads the virus that causes oral herpes. Because of this, there’s a chance it can be passed by glasses, straws, utensils or lip balm. So don’t share these, especially if you, your partner or your friends have cold sores or blisters!

MYTH: “I see my doctor every year for a physical, so I’m sure tests for STIs are routinely included.”

According to Planned Parenthood, your primary care physician (PCP) will not routinely or automatically test for STDs; you must ask your health care provider to give you an STI test. Unless your PCP saw physical signs or you complained of symptoms consistent with an STI, he or she more than likely would not routinely order STI blood tests, unless you specifically request them. If you’re sexually active, it is super important to get tested at least once a year so that you can know your status and get treatment if necessary, as STIs do not always present with symptoms.

Sometimes we get it wrong, but let’s get it right! If you were taught any questionable information during your sex ed experience and want it debunked, please email me at [email protected] and I can discuss it in an upcoming column! Vandy Sex Ed will also be hosting an event on Ethical Non-Monogamy on Wednesday, February 13th in Sarratt 216/220 at 6:00 PM. Feel free to ask us questions there!