Plan your week (1/29-2/2)

Humans have reacquired lost genetic variations from Neanderthals. (Photo / Claire Barnett)

Looking to try something new this week? Peruse the events below and make a point to attend something outside of your comfort zone. For more offerings, check out Anchor Link.

Disclaimer: Source of event information is Anchor Link and Facebook

[su_spoiler title=”Educational” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Source: Facebook

What: From 9/11 to the Trump Era: Reflections on 15 Years of ACLU Advocacy for Immigrants
When: Tuesday, January 30 at 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.
Where: Flynn Auditorium at Vanderbilt Law School
Why: Ahilan Arulanantham, the 2017-18 George Barrett Distinguished Practitioner in Residence, will be reflecting on his family history and his career at the ACLU, discussing what he has learned from his work representing immigrants for the last 15 years. Among other topics, he will discuss his experiences with individuals detained in New York after 9/11, his litigation on behalf of Central American children and his advocacy on behalf of detained immigrants at the Supreme Court.
Who: Ahilan Arulanantham and the Vanderbilt Law School

What: What To Do With Your Summer with the Career Center
When: Thursday, February 1 at 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Where: Lupton Lounge
Why: Take advantage of the Career Center’s workshop on the myriad of options for having a productive summer.  Resume editing and light hors d’oeuvres will also be offered.
Who: Branscomb Quadrangle

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Sports” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

What: Nashville Predators vs. Chicago Blackhawks
When: Tuesday, January 30 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Bridgestone Arena
Why:  Head to Bridgestone Arena to watch the Nashville Predators challenge the Chicago Blackhawks or stream it from your dorm room.
Who: Nashville Predators

What: Women’s Tennis vs. Baylor
When: Friday, February 2 at 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Where: Currey Tennis Center
Why: Support the women’s tennis team as they take on Baylor.
Who: Vanderbilt Athletics

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Cultural” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

What: Mesa española
When: Tuesday, January 30 at 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Where:  Furman 001
Why: Practice your spanish over coffee and snacks every Tuesday.
Who: Vanderbilt Center for Second Language Studies

Source: Facebook

What: Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brené Brown
When: Thursday, February 1 at 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Where: The 3rd Floor Common Space at the Wond’ry
Why: Join other Vandy students in the “Quest for True Belonging” by reading and discussing this book together every Thursday in February. New York Times best selling author Brené Brown describes True Belonging as “the spiritual practice of believing in and belonging to yourself so deeply that you can share your most authentic self with the world and find sacredness in both being a part of something and standing alone in the wilderness.”
Who: Vanderbilt and staff from Student Leadership Development and Vandy Wesley

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Recreational” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

What: Open Mic night at the Bluebird Cafe
When: Monday, January 29 at 6 p.m.
Where: Bluebird Cafe
Why: Experience something truly local: the Bluebird Cafe. While the cafe has nightly shows, Monday night is open mic night and the easiest time to book a table. Reservations open up at 12 p.m. that day.
Who: Local musicians at Bluebird Cafe

Source: Facebook

What: Iliza @ Zanies Comedy Club
When: Thursday February 1 at 6:30 p.m.
Where: Zanies Comedy Club
Why: Get a good laugh in this week and see Iliza, the youngest comedian to hold the title of NBC’s Last Comic Standing and current late night talk show host on Freeform, as she performs what’s sure to be a killer stand up set. Tickets are $30.
Who: Iliza

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Arts” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

What: Open Studio
When: Tuesday, January 30 at 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Space 204 at the E. Bronson Ingram Studio Art Center
Why: Explore art’s ability to create healing spaces as you peruse Vibhu Krishna’s exhibit, Open Studio.
Who: Vibhu Krishna

What: Visit the Frist
When: Thursdays or Fridays from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Where: Frist Center
Why: Get in your weekly dose of culture with your friends and go to the Frist on Thursday or Friday night, when admission is free with your student ID.
Who: Frist Center

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Health & Wellness” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

What: Gentle Yoga Class
When: Monday, January 29 at 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Where: Center for Student Wellbeing
Why: Relax into your week with a gentle yoga class; no experience or equipment is required.
Who: Center for Student Wellbeing

What: Indoor Cycling
When: Wednesday, January 31 at 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Where: The Rec, Studio B
Why: Take an hour to destress and power through your Wednesday night with a spin class.
Who: Vanderbilt Rec Center

[/su_spoiler]