Matthew-Fisher Davis to miss rest of season due to shoulder injury

The Vanderbilt Commodores fall to the University of Kentucky Wildcats on Saturday, January 13th, 2018. (Photo by Brent Szklaruk)

Matthew Fisher-Davis’ Vanderbilt career has come to an end a few months earlier than expected.

Vanderbilt announced on Tuesday that the senior guard will miss the remainder of the 2017-18 season with a right shoulder injury he sustained during the Commodores’ January 13 loss to the Kentucky Wildcats.

“Thanks to the Vanderbilt family and, in particular, Athletic Director David Williams and Coach Kevin Stallings and his staff, for affording me the opportunity to be a part of such an esteemed university as Vanderbilt,” said Fisher-Davis in a statement.

“Also thanks to Coach Bryce Drew and his staff for my continued development as a basketball player and a young man. I am forever grateful. I anticipate a speedy and full recovery and look forward to representing Vanderbilt University to the best of my ability. God is good all the time! Anchor Down!”

After Saturday’s win over LSU, Drew said that they were going to check with doctors about the best course of action for Fisher-Davis going forward, and that they were considering his professional future as part of it.

Fisher-Davis will end his career in sixth on Vanderbilt’s all-time three-pointers made list and 30th on the all-time scoring list. In his four years as a Commodore, he helped Vanderbilt reach the quarterfinals of the NIT and two NCAA Tournament appearances.

This season, Fisher-Davis was second on the team in points per game with 11.9 and second in rebounds per game with 5.1. He also averaged 1.3 assists per game, good for fourth on the team.