BREAKING: Five-star shooting guard Romeo Langford commits to Indiana over Vanderbilt, Kansas

Mar 25, 2018; Atlanta, GA, USA; McDonalds High School All American forward Romeo Langford (22) poses for photos on portrait day at the Omni Hotel. Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

Today, one of the top recruits in the nation, Romeo Langford, officially announced his commitment to play for Indiana University. He made the announcement in the gymnasium of his soon-to-be alma mater, New Albany High School.

The Indiana native has been regarded as one of the most talented high school players in the nation and is one of just three recruits ranked in ESPN’s top-30 to make his announcement so late.

In November of 2017, Langford narrowed down his decision to three schools: Vanderbilt, Kansas, and hometown favorite, Indiana. Since then, he’s given no hints as to which school he is leaning towards.

Vanderbilt fans have waited patiently, hoping that our up-and-coming basketball program would win him over.

Bryce Drew and the Commodores were able to break school recruiting records with the addition of Darius Garland, then broke that very record with Simi Shittu. Garland and Shittu are both five-star recruits and are ranked 16th and 18th in the ESPN top 100, respectively. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to pull Langford from Indiana.

Langford was ranked slightly higher than the others, coming in at 5th in the ESPN top 100. He was a McDonald’s All-American and had a prolific high school basketball career. In four years, he averaged 17.1, 29.3, 28.7, then his senior year, 35.5 points per game. Langford is an electric scorer to say the least, but he rounds out his game averaging around 10 rebounds and 3 assists per game.

The Commodores may have missed out on a great player, but let’s give credit where credit is due: Bryce Drew and his recruiting staff still reeled in two five-star recruits, Garland and Shittu, along with a four-star, Aaron Neismith, giving the program a bright future.

We wish Romeo the best of luck next season with the Hoosiers.

SHARE
Previous articleJulian Infante clawing his way back to form with solid weekend against Gamecocks
Next articleQ&A with Robert Gates, former U.S. Secretary of Defense
Simon Gibbs
Simon Gibbs (‘21) writes for the sports section of the Vanderbilt Hustler. He is planning on majoring in Human and Organizational Development in Peabody College, with minors in Business and Communication Studies. Simon had written pieces for the sports section of his high school newspaper, the Riverdale Review, before arriving at Vanderbilt. When he's not writing articles or covering games, you can find Simon watching his hometown New York Mets, waiting for that next ring.

NO COMMENTS