Vegan at Vandy: What’s to Come

An introduction to my plant-based diet at Vanderbilt

I’m a cello performance major in Blair and maybe a Spanish minor. I grew up in Connecticut, wearing mismatched socks to school and trying desperately to be good at math. This will be my third year at Vanderbilt and my third year of being vegan. I came to veganism with the intention of making myself healthier, mentally and physically, but had no idea it’d turn into so much more.

I now feel morally obligated to buy up Morgan Munchie’s entire stock of Lenny and Larry’s packaged protein cookies, spend most of my meal swipe’s entrees on bottles of GT’s gingerade kombucha, and stash my backpack with Primal Strips teriyaki mushroom jerky even though I still think jerky is gross. It has become my civic duty to increase the demand for vegan products. With this hefty responsibility in mind, I hope for this column to serve as a running review of any accidentally vegan snacks I find on campus, dining hall dishes, and local restaurants that cater to a plant-based diet. Let me know if you find any funky juice bars, dope ramen places, or Munchie Mart delicacies you want me to test-drive for you.

In the coming weeks, I will take you with me on a few typical days of eating around campus. I hate to spoil the surprise, but look forward to a lot of Grins superfood wraps, Naked juices, and tupperware containers of lukewarm white rice I made in my dorm room. I can’t wait to shed some light on how we vegans feed ourselves here at Vanderbilt. Maybe I’ll even reveal to you every vegan’s best kept secret: where we get our protein. Find me on Facebook or Instagram (@emily_azzz) if you have any questions about veganism you’d like me to debunk in my next post. In the meantime, go eat some plants.

SHARE
Previous articleIN PHOTOS: Student Involvement Fair
Next articleMelissa Thomas-Hunt hired as new Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence
Emily Azzarito
Emily Azzarito is a junior at Vanderbilt. She is studying cello performance at the Blair School of Music. She has performed in Spain, Germany, and twice at Carnegie Hall. More notably, she’s been vegan for two years. For ethical reasons, Emily became vegetarian when she turned thirteen. Five years later, she adopted a vegan diet to support a healthier lifestyle. Emily enjoys sampling vegan fare from restaurants all over Nashville and posting pictures of it on her Instagram. When she’s not eating piles of salad, she enjoys painting portraits, doing yoga, and lifting weights. Her favorite food is Ben and Jerry’s Non-Dairy Caramel Almond Brittle ice cream.

1 COMMENT

1. heck yea i am so excited for this. you made me a vegan and i can’t wait or more insight on how you handle it after three years of experience!