Students to receive notifications by 5 a.m. if Friday classes are cancelled

All local area public schools have already announced closings due to potentially dangerous travel conditions

Snow and ice cover Vanderbilt's campus on Friday, January 12, 2018, one day after 65-degree weather. Classes were canceled, creating a four-day weekend for students. (Photo by Claire Barnett)

A winter weather advisory for freezing rain, ice and snow in the Nashville area on Friday, Jan. 12 may require the administration to cancel classes. A posting on the Vanderbilt News site late Thursday evening stated that if classes do end up getting cancelled, students, staff and faculty will receive text, email and phone messages by 5 a.m. on Friday alerting them of the announcement.

According to AccuWeather as of Thursday night, ice resulting in difficult travel conditions, total snow accumulations of up to two inches and ice accumulations of up to two tenths of an inch are expected.

“All faculty, staff and students living off campus are strongly encouraged to evaluate road conditions along their commute and to use discretion in choosing whether or not to travel to campus if the university remains open,” the posting said. “Personal safety is the first priority.”

The counties in red are those that have already announced public school closings for Friday, Jan. 12 due to inclement weather.

Metro Nashville public schools have already announced closings due to the probability of inclement weather. Additionally, all counties surrounding Vanderbilt have announced school closings for Friday, including Cheatham County Schools, Dickson County Schools, Clarksville-Montgomery County Schools, Father Ryan High School, Franklin Special School District, Lebanon Special School district, Murfreesboro City Schools, Robertson County Schools, Rutherford County Schools, Sumner County Schools, Wilson County Schools and Williamson County Schools.

The last time Vanderbilt canceled class due to inclement weather was during January 2016 after eight inches of snow made travel to campus unsafe. Vanderbilt also canceled classes in Feb. 2015 when Tenn. declared a state of emergency, Nashville Mayor Karl Dean requested that all nonessential travel be suspended, and public transportation was suspended in Nashville. Provost Susan Wente is ultimately responsible for making the decision to ultimately cancel class, which she makes with the guidance of  Vanderbilt Police, Campus Dining, News and Communications, Human Resources and Plant Operations.

SHARE
Previous articleVanderbilt falls to 0-4 in SEC play with loss to Missouri
Next articleThree Thoughts: Vanderbilt still winless in SEC play after loss to Mizzou
Sarah Friedman
Sarah Friedman ('19) is the former Editor in Chief of the Vanderbilt Hustler. She previously served as the Campus Editor and the Assistant Campus Editor. She is majoring in mathematics and economics in the College of Arts and Science. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys aggressively tagging her friends in Dogspotting posts, drinking mocha iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts, and stalking other colleges' newspapers.

NO COMMENTS