Students support hurricane relief efforts with ongoing donation drive

Students raised over $6,000 and sent two and a half trucks full of supplies to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts last week and will have more opportunities to support hurricane relief this week

Last week, the Vanderbilt community came together to support relief efforts for those affected by Hurricane Harvey. Throughout the week, Campus Dining ran the Share A Side program, in which students could donate any of their meal swipe sides to relief efforts, and Vanderbilt Student Government partnered with the Office of Residential Education to set up donation bins in residence halls and munchie marts across campus.

On Wednesday, Vanderbilt Athletics hosted a donation drive, collecting non perishable foods, water and clothing for hurricane victims. The drive was supported by Fox Moving and Storage, who donated the trailers that were used to transport the donations to Houston. Students were able to drop donations off at the McGugin parking lot, where the trailers were parked, or in any of the bins set up in residence halls throughout campus, which were then brought to the drop off site by volunteers. Donations from the Vanderbilt community filled 2 ½ moving trucks.

Meanwhile, Campus Dining’s Share A Side effort raised $6,389.25 from Sept. 4 to Sept. 10, which will be donated to the American Red Cross. Additionally, Campus Dining donated a number of non perishable foods, including 100 boxes of P3 Protein packs, 50 boxes of Quest Protein bars and 10 cases of Campbell’s soup.

From Sept. 12 through Sept. 17, students will once again have the opportunity to contribute to hurricane relief efforts. Bins will be available in munchie marts and residence halls across campus, and donations will go to the American Red Cross.

Photos & Video by Hunter Long // The Vanderbilt Hustler

SHARE
Previous articleWhy so many women start in STEM and don’t stay
Next articleCampus Fashion: September Style
Sam Zern, Campus Editor

Sam Zern (2020) is the Campus Editor for the Vanderbilt Hustler. She is from Austin, Texas but has found a second home in Nashville. Sam is majoring in Human and Organizational Development and is interested in education and nonprofit work.

NO COMMENTS