At 1:46 a.m. on Nov. 5, students received an AlertVU message saying that a shooting was reported at the Regions bank located at the intersection of 21st Ave. and Blakemore Ave. A 19-year-old man, who is not a student, said he was shot in the shoulder in an attempted robbery, WSMV reports. The victim did not have life-threatening injuries.

The AlertVU message reported that the suspect was in a Black Dodge Charger, which was last seen headed towards The Commons.

“Seek shelter immediately! Police are on the scene,” the message said.

As of 9 a.m. Sunday morning at the time of this article’s publication, the suspect has yet to be taken into custody. At 2:12 a.m., students received a second message saying that officers were still searching the area, and instructing them to remain sheltered in place. At 2:49 a.m., students received a third message.

“Officers have patrolled the campus, searched the areas of 21st Ave S and Blakemore, and the Commons Area. Remain vigilant,” the third message said.

This shooting comes just hours after a shooting was reported, and the suspect taken into custody, at the Veterans Administration hospital located on 24th Ave. near campus late Saturday night.

Check alertvu.vanderbilt.edu for updates as they are made available.

SHARE
Previous articleBREAKING: Suspect of shooting at VA Hospital taken into custody
Next articleCommodore Brunch Week 10: A step in the right direction
Sarah Friedman, Editor in Chief

Sarah Friedman (’19) is the Editor in Chief of the Vanderbilt Hustler. She previously served as the Campus Editor and the Assistant Campus Editor. She is majoring in mathematics and economics in the College of Arts and Science. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys aggressively tagging her friends in Dogspotting posts, drinking mocha iced coffees from Dunkin’ Donuts, and stalking other colleges’ newspapers.

NO COMMENTS