Plan your MLK weekend: How and where to get involved

Engage with MLK weekend events through the #IStandWithJustice social media campaign, the annual Weekend of Service or a number of educational opportunities

January 16th, 2017 – Vanderbilt students and faculty gather to celebrate the life of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the annual MLK Day march in Nashville.

On Monday, Jan. 15, Vanderbilt will take the day off of classes in observance of MLK Day, celebrating what would have been the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s 88th birthday. While there won’t be classes that day, the university and various student organizations will host a number of events honoring King’s impact. 

In an effort to increase student engagement with events throughout the weekend, Vanderbilt Student Government launched the #IStandWithJustice campaign, featuring student leaders sharing why MLK Day is significant to them.

“The #IStandWithJustice campaign is a new promotional strategy for MLK Day. The students on the planning committee wanted to find a way to remind campus why the holiday is celebrated in the first place,” VSG president Jami Cox said. “By asking a few students why they believe MLK Day is important, we hope to inspire other students to participate in the day’s activities. We are also encouraging people to use the hashtag throughout the week and on Jan. 15 to share their thoughts as well.”

In addition to the campaign, the university will host a number of events celebrating the life of King throughout the weekend. The commemoration of King’s legacy will begin with a Friday kickoff at the Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center, followed by Vanderbilt’s annual Weekend of Service and culminate in a keynote address by professor Michael Eric Dyson entitled “Justice through Collective Action: Fighting Oppression without Suppression.”

Click below to see all MLK weekend events: