Students call congresspeople about DACA

Vandy students call elected reps about DACA on September 7, 2017.

This past Tuesday, September 5, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the White House will end the Obama-era policy called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). This impacts individuals who were brought into the United States illegally when they were minors. The change will not take affect until March 5, 2018.

Many Vanderbilt students expressed their displeasure with the White House action by placing calls to Tennessee’s Senators and Representatives.

Senator Alexander’s Office, one of the many called, revealed that the congressman supports allowing undocumented individuals brought to the US as minors to apply for legal status if they complete high school and either two years of college or four years of military service. This plan was discussed by several of the Vanderbilt students who had gathered, with many expressing concern for the minors who are not yet old enough to have completed high school. The students indicated an intent to continue a dialogue with their elected representatives.

SHARE
Previous articleBorn Animal: University Students Trailblaze Nashville’s Rock Scene
Next articleWhy we still need Obama-era sexual assault policy
Sarah Friedman, Editor in Chief
Sarah Friedman ('19) is the Editor in Chief of the Vanderbilt Hustler. She previously served as the Campus Editor and the Assistant Campus Editor. She is majoring in mathematics and economics in the College of Arts and Science. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys aggressively tagging her friends in Dogspotting posts, drinking mocha iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts, and stalking other colleges' newspapers.

NO COMMENTS